Sunday, March 5, 2017

Stunning Stars #6 - "A Star Is Born"!


Hi, all!

Welcome to the final week of the Stunning Stars Quilt Along!  It's hard to believe we've made it this far - and next week marks the beginning of this year's Hands2Help Charity Quilt Challenge!!  

Today I'll be sharing a simple baby quilt with you.  This quilt killed three birds with one stone - a baby quilt for a gift, a quilt using some beautiful Free Spirit Fabrics I'll be introducing in a week, and the final Stunning Stars quilt.  May I introduce to you.... A Star Is Born!


For the record, this quilt is made using a print called Prismatic from the upcoming collection Modernist by Joel Dewberry, surrounded by various prints from the Modern Backgrounds collection by Zen Chic.  


Aren't those wonky stars cute?  And really pretty quick and easy!


I had lots of fun quilting this one, too, using some new designs I learned at QuiltCon.  It will be for a little girl, so I think these swirls are perfect!


And here's one last shot of this cute baby quilt being modeled on my vintage rocking horse!  My grandchildren all love this particular horsie, but it also makes a great photo prop.

So now let's get started with the tutorial!!


*&*&*&*&*&*&*

“A Star Is Born”
A Baby Quilt for the 
Stunning Stars Quilt-Along



Finished size:  approximately 42” square

FABRIC REQUIREMENTS:

44  - 6.5” squares background fabric - if scrappy, use low volume neutrals

5 -    6.5” squares for the star centers.  You can use one color for all of the stars, or choose 
to make your stars scrappy by choosing a color for each one and coordinating your fabrics accordingly, or by using a different fabric print for each star.

8 -    scrap pieces for each star point in coordinating color or matching print to each center 
(you will need 5 sets).  Your scraps should be basically rectangular, about 2.5” - 4” wide and any length long enough to make your points.  My pieces were about 4” wide by 6-8” long.

1/3 - 1/2 yard of fabric for binding, or about 180” of scrappy binding (this is a great way to
use up your binding scraps!)

1 1/4 yards of fabric for backing (if your quilt is no wider than 42” and your backing fabric is a full 44 or 45”, you can probably quilt it without having to piece your back. If not, you may need more fabric for your back.)


CUTTING INSTRUCTIONS:

From your background fabric(s), cut forty-four 6.5” squares.

From your star fabrics, cut five 6.5” squares for the star centers, and if you need to cut your star points, cut eight rectangles varying from 2.5” - 4” wide and 6” - 8” long.  If you are using scraps, choose coordinating scraps for each star sufficient to make all eight of your points.

ASSEMBLY INSTRUCTIONS:

Your first step is to make your wonky star points.  Rhiannon at The Nifty Stitcher has a great tutorial for these so I won’t repeat the instructions here.


Now arrange your quilt by placing your centers and arranging the points around them.  As you can see from the diagram, they interlock a little bit so you can’t just make the separate star blocks and assemble them.  Once you have it laid out, assemble it however works easiest for you.  Check your layout frequently to be sure you don’t have something out of whack!  (Don’t ask me how I know this…)

Once it’s pieced, check the width.  If it’s 42” or less, you should be able to use just one width of fabric for the backing (always a great thing, in my book!)  If not, piece your back as needed.

Now get to work quilting!  This should be a quickie, whether you do straight line quilting or FMQ on your domestic machine or throw it on the long arm.  

A quick, sweet baby quilt for either your newest arrival or a charity quilt!


PS This quilt would be super-simple to make larger, simply by making your blocks larger.  7.5” squares would yield a 49” square quilt; 8.5” squares would yield a 56” square quilt, and 9.5” squares would yield a 63” square quilt.  

*&*&*&*&*&*&*

And this concludes our tutorials for the Stunning Stars quilts!  If you've missed them in the past weeks, here's a quick recap of the previous five quilts...



Be sure to come back next week as we start this year's Hands2Help Charity Quilt Challenge!  I'm so excited to get this party started!

Hugs!

Sarah

17 comments:

  1. This is so cool,( as is the phrase of the younger set these days)!!!. But my favourite is still Supernova. What a fab way to make those wonky stars and use scraps at the same time. Thanks for all the designs and hints.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another beautiful quilt, another one for the list. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loving all these stars. I may need to put one together.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Perfect. Can't wait to begin this one. Thanks for all the star posts. Donna Weeks aka Momma llama

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this one! I am making two, one for a gif and one for the Hands2Help at our local quilt shops sewing day this week. Thank you for such great patterns.
    mindingmomma@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stunning quilting and design.Thanks for the tips and patterns!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Another great tutorial. You've have some awesome star quilts this year. Hopefully it won't take me a year to try one of them, like I did with last year's tutorials. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a fun quilt! Thank you, Sarah for all these great ideas and posts chock full of inspiration. It's going to be another great year for Hands2Help.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a fabulous way to use focal fabrics!! I have some super cute kitty pieces that I haven't wanted to chop up too much, and they would be SWEET in this baby quilt pattern. Thanks, Sarah!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love that quilting motif for this quilt - makes it feel all magical. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. a lovely quilt and lots more to see and admire too very impressed with the quilting

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love that wonky star. It reminds me of one of my favorite quilts at QuoktCon - I'm not sure whether you might have mentioned that quilt yourself. I've read so many bloggers' reviews of the show and I've shown my own pics to friends so honestly, I don't remember which way is up.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's beautiful Sarah! I don't know how you get so much done. I managed to get the pillowcases that go with the wedding quilt completed last night and stich some more on the binding. I have a little under one side to go and the quilt will be completed. I can't wait until our nephew and his fiancé open it on Thursday night!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow! All those star quilts are AMAZING!!! Love your quilted swirls! You learned good!

    ReplyDelete
  15. LOVE that we only need to make FOUR blocks for an entire quilt!! Thanks for another wonderful design.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am not sure how I missed your last stunning star quilt but sure am glad I found it. I had to chuckle when I saw the wooden rocking horse. Could it be the one? My husband made two of these many years ago. One we have and one was donated to our church and sold at auction for a mere $12.00. It looks exactly like this one although since it was a pattern there are probably hundreds out there rocking great grandchildren yet.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Welcome to illuminati brotherhood where you can become rich famous and popular and HIGHT RANK IN YOUR OFFICE, life story we be change totally. my name is Carlos I am here to share my testimony on how I join the great brotherhood Illuminati and my life story was change immediately.I was very poor no jobless and I has no money to even feed and take care of my family I was confuse in life I don’t know what to do I try all my possible best to get money but no one work out for me each day I share tears, I was just looking out my family no money to take care of them until one day I decided to join the great Illuminati , I come across them in the internet I never believe I said let me try I email them.all what they said we happen in my life just started it was like a dream to me they really change my story totally . They give me the sum of $20,000,000 million and many thing. through the Illuminati I was able to become rich, and have many industry on my own and become famous and popular in my country, today me and my family is living happily and I am the most happiest man here is the opportunity for you to join the Illuminati and become rich and famous in life and be like other people and your life we be change totally. If you are interested in joining the great brotherhood Illuminati contact this number call whatsspa +14703335103 or morganilluminatirich@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me smile!! If you want a PDF of a pattern, PLEASE leave your email address in your comment, or email me directly at salliesue57 (at) gmail (dot) com!