Wednesday, August 9, 2017

I May Have A Scrap Problem... And So It Begins!

Hi, all!

Wow, it seems like a long time since I've written one of these posts!  I find that I now miss all the scrappiness - definitely a good thing, since I have so many scraps to use up.  And today I'm starting a quilt that caught my imagination long ago, but I didn't accept that it was "do-able" until I finished my Long Time Gone quilt recently!


So this is my next project!  Gypsy Wife by Jen Kingwell.  As usual, I'm a day late and a dollar short - there's a quilt-along on Instagram for this quilt that started last week.  I'm just going to work my way through the book a block or two a week.  


And do you remember these beautiful fabrics?  Kate Spain sent me a bunch of scraps from her new batik line, Latitude!


As I was pressing and sorting them out, they just naturally divided up into warm and cool colors, and that's what I want to do with this quilt.  My plan is to use the cool colors for the long vertical stripes in this quilt, and use the warm colors for the blocks (with some of the cool colors thrown in as backgrounds or accents) so that the blocks appear to float on top of the background strips.


Here's hoping what I see in my head works in real life!!  And here's my first block - it's called Color Wheel...


I learned some valuable things with this block.  First of all, Jen Kingwell uses a VERY scant 1/4" seam when making her blocks.  Secondly, if you are using a fabric without a clear right and wrong side (like a batik!) be very careful in putting together the blended HST blocks at the NESW points of the 9-patch.  It's easy to get those pieces reversed if you're not careful!  And this block calls for pieces cut 3 7/8" square for the HSTS - I rounded up to 4" so that I could trim them down to the perfect size.  I've found that it works better to go large and trim down than to risk it coming up a little small.

Anyone interested in piecing this beautiful quilt along with me?  I'm really looking forward to this, and I think it will be the perfect design to showcase those beautiful batiks.  I've been hoarding them for months now looking for the best way to use them - I sure hope my concept works out as well in fabric as it does in my head!

*&*&*&*&*&*&*

And just in case Gypsy Wife isn't your cup of tea, I found a couple of really cool pins today...



First of all, I saw this pin for Fifteen Minutes of Play, a great technique for making fabric from your scraps and using them in quilts.  


And then I saw this quilt!  What a great way to use those "made" fabrics!!!  So if you've only got a few minutes, give the Fifteen Minutes of Play technique a try and see what happens.  It could be amazing!

You can find the direct links for both of these pins and many more on my Pinterest board, Oh Scrap!

Have you been playing with your scraps this week?  I'd love to hear about what you've been working on!

Hugs!

Sarah

19 comments:

  1. Colour wheel, a great block to start, super fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sort of jumping into GW, too, but I'm just making an assortment of blocks out of Judy Hopkins' 501 Rotary-Cut Quilt Blocks and assembling them "in the style of" Gypsy Wife. Gotta finish my LTG first, tho.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm making the Friendship Rings quilt by Liz Porter from strings. For a twin size, I need 192 pieces of stringed fabric at 3.5" x 8"...only 40 more to go.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a great plan for your new scrappy project! I'm working on my Sapphire Stars Mystery from Kevin the Quilter and my A6 Mystery from Alycia Quilts. Blowing through a LOT of scraps (and a bit of stash, too.) Have FUN!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just started Gypsy Wife for the quilt along Sarah, I've made Colourwheel and I've started on Perishing, I agree with the scant 1/4 inch. i'm looking forward to seeing more of your blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A friend gave me the pattern for Gypsy Wife. I don't know if I'll ever get her made or not but I think she looks so interesting. I might try making a variation of the quilting using left over blocks from other projects.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You will have great fun with this :-) Your fabric choices sound wonderful. I've been watching Em at Em's Scrapbag using her scraps lately. She's on to something good!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love watching folks work on those intricate quilt patterns but I just don't have the patience to do it myself. Not sure if you already have a cutter but I stumbled across a sale going on for the AccuQuilt GO! cutting machine for $199 on their website. The sale ends at midnight tonight...so get it while it's hot!

    ReplyDelete
  9. My recent scrap project is the Twister Holiday in greens and reds. I have it all done and now need to find a quilter to machine quilt it. I enjoyed it so much I am planning a Twister Harvest with batiks, grunge, and other tone on tone fabrics. Not all scraps since my scrap stash is not full of those.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I want to make the Gypsy Wife quilt in bright colors, too. Love your first block. I saw the info. on the QAL but I.don't do Instagram and I'm in the process of downsizing and moving to a new apt. I'll watch your blog posts for your progress and maybe play along later. Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. not to make you jealous but I am going to Victoria Findley Wolfe`s lecture on saturday can`t wait her 15 mins of play book is one of my favourites, she will also have her quilts with her.
    Gypsie wife fabrics look a great choice and aren`t you lucky being sent those.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like your idea for the Gypsy Wife and am looking forward to seeing how it progresses!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Shoot - I've tinkered with the idea of joining you, since I already have the pattern. But unfortunately I have a host of other projects that need my attention first. I'm saving this for those long winter days ahead. Have fun with it, and I look forward to seeing your blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love how your warm and cool colors seemed to sort themselves out :)
    You are one ambitious woman, with that last quilt and this one.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Must be in the air. I ordered 3 Jen Kingwell books yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've seen that pattern before and have been tempted by it, but there is way too much other stuff going on right now for me. I love the batik scraps that you are using to make the quilt! The finished quilt will be beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Have fun sewing along.Love your fabric combo!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I hadn't thought about joining the Gypsy Wife SAL but seeing the first block made me think that I could manage it. What fun. Love your fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I think that I would love to do a "sort of Gipsy Wife", make some blocks as used in the pattern, make some completely different ones and do a interpretation of the GW pattern. It is tempting. Anyway, happy quilting and best of luck!

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me smile!! If you want a PDF of a pattern, PLEASE leave your email address in your comment, or email me directly at salliesue57 (at) gmail (dot) com!